Goal and areas
Ukraine has been a member of the Council of Europe since 1995 and undertook commitments to respect the European standards and in particular, in the field of local and regional democracy. It ratified the European Charter of Local Self-Government in 1997 and its Additional Protocol on the right to participate in the affairs of a local authority in 2014.
With the aim to ensure effective functioning of local self-government system in Ukraine compliant with the European standards and good practice and provision of high-quality public services to population the Programme “Enhancing decentralisation and public administration reform in Ukraine” is implemented in the framework of the Council of Europe Action Plan for Ukraine (2018-2022).
What are the Programme areas?
The Programme is composed of the three inter-related components:
- Improvement of legislative framework on local self-government in line with the European standards and good practice.
- Enhancing capacities of local and regional authorities to deliver efficient and service oriented public administration.
- Raising awareness of the results and impact of decentralisation of power and local self-government reform among general population.
How the project works?
- Through the provision of legal expertise and policy advice, in line with relevant Council of Europe standards and tools.
- In close co-operation with the European Committee on Democracy and Governance and the Centre of Expertise for Local Government Reform.
- Through the provision of capacity building and the opportunity to learn from European peers, study visits and peer to peer visits in Council of Europe member states.
- With a tailor-made approach to meet the concrete needs of the country.
What do we expect to achieve?
- Improved local government organisation and functioning; awareness raising on European standards and good practice; the domestic adaptation and implementation of relevant European tools.
- Improved capacities of local and regional authorities, their organisation and management, the quality of services they deliver to citizens.
- Strengthened institutional capacities to carry out democratic reforms and democratic governance at local level.
- ANNOUNCEMENT. Public transport system – a round table on European practices and solutions for the Kyiv agglomeration
- Media in a time of war
- Attention! The All-Ukrainian contest of media materials 2022 has started
- New Recommendation on democratic accountability of elected officials and elected bodies at local and regional level
- Round table in Lviv format
- Metropolitan governance in Lviv sub-region: survey of population’s attitude and mayors’ workshop