Programme 2018 – 2020
Council of Europe: Local Democracy development in Ukraine
Programme “Decentralisation and Local Government Reform in Ukraine”
2018 – 2020 | within the framework of the Council of Europe Action Plan for Ukraine 2018-2022 with the earmarked financial support of the Government of the Swiss Confederation and Canada
In March 2018 – September 2020 the Centre of Expertise for Good Governance (Directorate General of Democracy (DGII) of the General Secretariat of the Council of Europe) implemented the Programme “Decentralisation and Local Government Reform in Ukraine”.
The Programme was implemented within the framework of the Council of Europe Action Plan for Ukraine 2018-2022 with the earmarked financial support of the Government of the Swiss Confederation and Canada. The Programme continued to support democratic governance reforms in Ukraine launched by the previous Council of Europe programmes.
Goal and areas
Strengthening the decentralisation and local government reform through revision of the legislation and capacity-building activities, which leads to improving the quality of the governance and services at the local level.
What were the Programme areas?
The Programme was composed of four inter-related components:
- Reform of legislation, preparation and implementation of reform strategies in the light of Council of Europe policy and legal expertise.
- Reform of the national training system for local civil servants and support to human resources management at local level.
- Furthered decentralisation process in the Donetsk and Luhansk regions.
- Enhanced capacities of amalgamated communities to deliver better services.
Results and follow-up
More than 30 legal opinions and overviews were prepared within the Programme (see here).
On October 2020 following the implementation of the Programme and at the request of the Government of Ukraine a new co-operation Programme “Enhancing decentralisation and public administration reform in Ukraine” was launched under the Council of Europe Action Plan for Ukraine 2018-2022.
- ANNOUNCEMENT. Public transport system – a round table on European practices and solutions for the Kyiv agglomeration
- Media in a time of war
- Attention! The All-Ukrainian contest of media materials 2022 has started
- New Recommendation on democratic accountability of elected officials and elected bodies at local and regional level
- Round table in Lviv format
- Metropolitan governance in Lviv sub-region: survey of population’s attitude and mayors’ workshop