Programme 2010 – 2013
In the period January 2010 – March 2013 the Council of Europe (CoE) Programme “Strengthening Local Democracy and Support for Local Government Reforms in Ukraine” was implemented by the Centre of Expertise for Local Government Reform, Directorate General Democracy – II of the CoE Secretariat General. It was sponsored by the Government of Sweden.
The strategic Programme goal was improvement of institutional and legal framework of local democracy in Ukraine, strengthening financial basis of local self-government and decentralisation of power in compliance with the European Charter of Local Self-Government, European standards and objectives of the CoE Action Plan for Ukraine for 2008-2011 and 2011-2014.
The Programme was designed to provide policy guidance, legal assistance and technical expertise to the Ukrainian authorities with the aim to promote local and regional democracy institutions, development of local self-government and more effective provision of services to the benefit of Ukrainian citizens.
The Programme expected results:
- Structural local self-government reform is designed and integrated into a wider public administration reform process. Division of roles and responsibilities between local governments and local state administrations are clarified and streamlined.
- Local finance system and inter-budgetary relations are enhanced to reduce vertical and horizontal imbalances, local self-government budget autonomy is strengthened, budget management improved.
- The State Programme for Reform and Development of the Housing and Municipal Economy is enhanced, inter-municipal co-operation is encouraged.
- Public and stakeholders’ awareness of the local self-government reform issues is strengthened.
In the framework of the Programme activities 26 CoE expert appraisals/recommendations on developing new national legislation or improving the one in force.
- CoE Policy Advice on the Status of the Capital of Ukraine – the Hero City Kyiv_2013
- CoE recommendation on the revision of the Ukrainian translation of the European Charter of Local Self-Government (document in Ukrainian)_2013
- CoE appraisal of the draft Concept of Reform of Local Self-Government and Territorial Organisation of Power_October 2013
- CoE Policy Advice on the Revision of the Constitution of Ukraine: Provisions of the Territorial Organisation of State and Local Self-Government_October 2013
- CoE appraisal of the draft Law of Ukraine_On Amalgamation of Territorial Communities_2012
- CoE appraisal of the draft Law of Ukraine_On Local Initiatives_2012
- CoE appraisal of the draft Law of Ukraine_On the Local Government Service_2012
- CoE appraisal of the draft Concept of the Local Self-Government Reform and Territorial Organisation of Power_June 2012
- CoE appraisal of the draft Concept of Reform of Local Self-Government and Territorial Organisation of Power_September 2012
- CoE Appraisal of the Draft Housing Code of Ukraine_2011
- CoE Appraisal of the draft Law of Ukraine on Stimulation and State Support of Unification of Rural Territorial Communities_2011
- CoE Appraisal of the draft Law of Ukraine_On Local Referenda_2011
- CoE Policy advice on the Improvement of External Audit of Local Budgets in Ukraine_2011
- CoE Policy advice on Service in the LSG Bodies of Ukraine_2011
- CoE Policy Advice on the Road Map to Develop the Water Sector in Ukraine_2011
- CoE Policy advise on the Proposals for Improving the Territorial Organisation of Power_2011
- CoE Policy advice on the Allocation of Inter-Budgetary Transfers_2011
- CoE appraisal of the draft Law of Ukraine_On the Civil Service_2011
- CoE Report on Compliance of the Ukrainian Legislation with the Principles of the European Charter for Local Self-Government_2010
- CoE proposals for the National Strategy of Decentralisation and Local Self-Government Reform in Ukraine in 2010-2013_2010
- CoE Appraisal of the Draft Concept of the State Programme of Support for the Social and Economic Development of Small Cities for 2011-2015_2010
- CoE Appraisal of the Draft Electoral Code of Ukraine (Local Elections)_2010
- CoE Appraisal of the Draft Law on Local Self-Government in Ukraine_2010
- CoE Appraisal of the Draft Law of Ukraine on the Special Rules Applicable to Lend-Lease and Concession Agreements for Water Supply, Heat Supply and Sewage in Municipal Property_2010
- CoE Appraisal of the Concept Paper and Draft Law on the Administrative-Territorial Reform of Ukraine_2009
- CoE Comments on the Concept of the Law on Sevastopil, City with Special Status_2009
- CoE Appraisal Report on “The National Programme of Reform and Development of the Housing and Municipal Economy for 2007 -2011”_2009
- CoE Appraisal of the Draft Law of Ukraine on Development of Mountain Territories_2009
- CoE Appraisal of the Draft Law on the Capital City of Ukraine, the Hero City of Kyiv_2009
- CoE Appraisal of the Draft Law on Amending the Constitution of Ukraine Local Self-Government Component_2009
- CoE Appraisal of the Draft Law on the Principles of State Regional Policy of Ukraine_2008
- CoE Appraisal Report on the Draft Concept Paper on State Regional Policy for Ukraine_2008
International and local CoE experts took an active part in activities of working groups under the Parliamentary Committee on State Building and Local Self-Government, Ministry of Regional Development, Construction and Municipal Economy, Ministry of Finance and other state authorities.
The follow-up to the Programme “Strengthening Local Democracy and Support for Local Government Reforms in Ukraine” and co-operation between the CoE and Ukraine in the area of policy guidance, legal assistance and technical expertise on local and regional democracy since April 2013 is ensured in the framework of the component “Legal Support to the Local Self-Government Reform in Ukraine” merged into the Programme “Strengthening the capacity of local authorities in Ukraine” with the financial support of the Government of the Swiss Confederation.